Bring the entire family to Old Town Pittsburg on Saturday, December 8th for a whole day of fun and celebration!
WHEN: Saturday, December 8th – All Day
WHERE: Old Town Pittsburg, between 8th and 3rd Streets
WHAT: A full day of holiday events
Peppermint Playland, 10 am – 3 pm: Fun, games and a little magic help to bring to life the spirit of the season! Old Town Plaza, Railroad Avenue & 5th Street.
Holiday Parade, 11 am: “A World of Wonder” Celebrate the season and the diversity of our community! Railroad Avenue between 8th and 3rd Streets. To participate in the parade, complete and return the form found here.
Holiday Boutique, 10 am – 7 pm: Find the perfect gift for that special someone or give yourself a special treat! 690 Railroad Avenue.
Holiday Tree Lighting, 5:30 pm: Experience this festive ceremony to brighten the holiday season! All the ornaments on this year’s tree are made from recycled and reclaimed items! Return to this page after the tree lighting to learn how you can make some of these beautiful ornaments yourself! Corner of Railroad Avenue & 4th Street.
Old Town Pittsburg’s “Green” Christmas Tree
This year, the Holiday Celebration in Old Town Pittsburg culminated with the lighting of the very first completely “green” tree. This tree is “green” in almost every way:
- Live Tree – The Old Town tree is planted in the ground, requires almost no maintenance or water, and does not require any fossil fuels to grow, cut, or transport.
- LED Lighting – All the lights on the tree are new, LED lights. These lights use much less electricity than traditional lights, yet are equally festive and beautiful.
- Recycled/Reclaimed Ornaments – All the ornaments on the tree are hand made from recycled or reclaimed materials used in Pittsburg. See the list of items below, and what they are made from.
A lot of hard work went into decorating this tree. Special thanks to the following people and organizations for their creativity and dedication in creating this tree for Old Town’s holiday event.
- Home Depot – Pittsburg
- Mechanics Bank – Pittsburg
- Pittsburg Art & Community Foundation
- Old Town Pittsburg Business District Association
- City of Pittsburg
- Residents and Friends of Pittsburg
Many thanks to everyone who helped make Pittsburg’s first “green” tree a success!
- Angels: Plastic grocery bags, plastic spoons, pipe cleaners and marking pen
- Pine Cones: Gathered from Small World Park, paint, glitter and glue
- CD Ornaments: Old CDs/DVDs
- Large Balls: Beach Balls, paint, glitter and glue
- Garland: Plastic milk cartons, staples
- Ornament “Cans”: Aluminum soda cans, box cutter, paint